“Both magical and precise, storytelling crafted from motion.” – Diversions LA
Invertigo aims to share inspiring, high caliber dance theatre performances and public programming that has enduring social impact with audiences in Los Angeles and beyond.
Invertigo builds community with people of all ages and abilities and leads with the belief that each dance has a ripple effect, creating space for all bodies to move and for vital stories to emerge. Our original works and community engagement invite people to experience the art of dance and storytelling as a catalyst for deeper joy and human connection.
Invertigo Dance Theatre creates inventive performances and engagement programs grounded in storytelling, research, and collaboration with intersectional, multigenerational communities.
Explore our work
INVERTIGO DANCE THEATRE – REEL
FORMULAE & FAIRY TALES SIZZLE REEL
LIVING ON ONE: MICRO-DOCUMENTARY
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Founded in 2007 by Artistic Director, Laura Karlin, Invertigo Dance Theatre creates powerful and visceral dance experiences that connect with audiences throughout the country. We collaborate with a wide variety of choreographers, theatre companies, musical ensembles, social service agencies, education programs, and design artists to create accessible and thought provoking cultural experiences. Our engagement programming is promotes physical and artistic empowerment and makes dance accessible for underserved communities, low-income students, and those living with Parkinson’s disease.
At Invertigo, we are continually committed to creating a community where people of all backgrounds can enjoy dance and storytelling. We believe that this is only possible through the creation of enriching environments that are diverse, inclusive, and equitable.
Invertigo’s Statement of Equity & Inclusion
Invertigo Dance Theatre strives to create a community where all people enjoy the many benefits of dance and storytelling. We believe that this is only possible through the creation of programs, audience experiences, and work environments that are diverse, equitable, and anti-racist.
We recognize and understand that a history of disparities, bias, and injustice has created a societal landscape of inequality and exclusion. We seek to address these issues directly with an intersectional understanding of, and strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity – both internally and throughout our community.
Invertigo continues to work towards reflecting our passion for creating community and connections by sharing important stories through the many faces, cultures, and walks of life that proudly make up our world.
A true community is one in which all people, of every gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, education, or ability, must feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
We encourage our staff, board members, volunteers, contractors, and partners to embrace the following principles intended to promote diversity, equity, and anti-oppression:
- Mutual Respect: We value and respect those persons, ideas, and experiences that are different from our own.
- Transparency: We have a responsibility to ourselves and our community to work towards mission and goals with honesty and transparency.
- Collaboration: We believe in creating space that welcomes and elevates a wide array of voices and talents.
- Accessibility: We believe that dance is for everyone: everybody and every body. We strive to make our programming available and accessible in a variety of ways.
- Creativity & Knowledge: Everyone has a story to tell, and we learn more about ourselves by listening to and learning from others. This cultivates and fosters creativity and helps Invertigo create works that reflect the ever-changing world around us and the new stories that are being shared every day.
- Intersectionality: We recognize that everyone carries multiple identities, and that there is a history and present reality of structural oppression and privilege within each person’s lived experience.
- Accountability: We strive to create mechanisms for constant evaluation and feedback, and an open atmosphere of communication that values impact over intention.