Invertigo Dance Theatre presented After It Happened, October 3 - 19, 2014 at the Odyssey Theatre
An evening of dance, theatre, live music, tragedy, comedy, transformation, blue trash bags and hope.
After It Happened tells the story of a community as they rebuild after a natural disaster. Praised by the LA Times for the dancers' "engaging" performance and called “a compelling story with interesting, athletic movement, original music and a bit of comic relief” by Dance Help.
The reviews are in!
- Bachtrack: "With wild abandon, slick partnering, and sensitive storytelling . . . After It Happened strategically melds dynamic physicality, voice and music to reveal the human condition in a post-calamity community."
- BitterLemons/Theatre Ghost: "After It Happened is probably the most important dance work you will see this year. It is also surely one of the most adventurous, surprising and moving. Do not miss it."
- BitterLemons/Colin Mitchell: "The story telling was tight and clear, without being obtrusive, it challenged the imaginations and stirred the emotions. . . with some kick ass movement thrown in."
- LA Weekly: PICK OF THE WEEK: "Invertigo Dance Theatre has a knack for taking an off-kilter viewpoint, creating insightful, contemporary dance theater tinged with wry humor."
- ArtsBeatLA: "After it Happened . . . creates a post-disaster world that manages to be disturbing, beautiful, and very, very funny, all at once."
- ExploreDance: "After It Happened sweeps the audience up into the life of the story with its fierce energy and stunning choreography."
- LA Dance Review: "Tickets are selling out rapidly and I recommend you get yours today so you do not miss this wonderful evening of storytelling through words, song and movement."
- SpotLA: "So many creative ideas and an artistically strong dance theatre company."
- An interview with Laura Karlin on ExploreDance: "I think the biggest thing you can do is create the kind of environment and create the kind of company culture that's based on trust and respect and love of storytelling and a commitment to the craft of what we do. And that's what will translate to an experience on stage. Telling a story that's worth telling and telling it in a way that's worthy of the story."
3 WEEK RUN! Fridays and Saturdays, 8pm. Sundays, 6pm.
Odyssey Theatre, 2055 S. Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025
Fri + Sat + Sun, October 3-5, 10-12, 17-19
Click here for a behind-the-scenes video!
Click here for a rehearsal photo gallery!
Choreographed by Laura Karlin and the performers
Dancers: Hyosun Choi, Louie Cornejo, Jessica Dunn, Sofia Klass, Irene Kleinbauer, Ryan Ruiz, Chris Smith, Cody Wilbourn, Sadie Yarrington
Original, live music performed by Toby Karlin, Diana Wallace and Hyosun Choi
Technical Director and Associate Producer: Dan McNamara
Costume Design by Kate Bishop and Rosalida Medina
Set and Puppet Design by John Burton