Work With Us
There are many ways to get involved with Invertigo.
Become an Operations Associate!
Operations Associate: Job Description
Full-time, Hourly, 35 hours/week
Invertigo Dance Theatre is looking for the next member of our team! The Operations Associate is an integral part of sharing the benefits of dance with thousands of people each year. Successful candidates are passionate about Invertigo’s mission to build community and connections through dance theatre and excited to share the joy of dance with people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities.
Summary: Supports, organizes and maintains company operations, including: bookkeeping, organizational databases and systems, payroll and HR.
We are looking for someone who exhibits strong communication skills with a variety of people and a strong ability to work collaboratively with interns, volunteers, artists, supervisors, donors, community stakeholders, governmental and financial agencies, and Board members. Essential communication skills include active listening, asking pertinent questions, providing helpful feedback and regular updates, checking email regularly and writing clearly.
Essential skills include: Attention to detail, multitasking skills (ability to complete a variety of different tasks quickly and simultaneously), self-prioritization (ability to set priorities in completing tasks and to quickly adapt to changing priorities), self-motivation (ability to successfully work both collaboratively and independently) and time-management skills (ability to manage scheduling, work efficiently, meet deadlines and set appropriate boundaries for work completion).
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Managing QuickBooks online bookkeeping and accrual accounting, generating reports for staff and Board members.
- Managing payroll through QuickBooks online on a biweekly basis.
- Drafting and managing vendor contracts, invoices, payments, financial and insurance reporting.
- Processing and categorizing incoming checks and bank statements on a timely basis.
- Maintaining data management software (e.g. NationBuilder, Google Apps, DataArts, Wordpress, etc.).
- Organizing HR policy book for the company in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Supporting staff with technical troubleshooting,
- Attending and taking minutes at staff meetings, professional development and project meetings, and other company-related meetings.
As the Operations Associate, you report to the Executive Director and work closely with other staff members. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all Invertigo staff are working remotely through at least the end of 2020, so you will need a safe and secure place to work at home with a reliable internet connection (we provide a subsidy for internet and phone). Over the long-term, your principal place of work will be the Company’s office, which is currently located in Culver City, CA 90230. You may be asked to travel to various locations throughout LA County for project-related meetings and activities (as safety regulations permit), so you must have reliable methods of transportation (we provide mileage reimbursement benefits). In addition, you may be asked to help with Invertigo’s performance or fundraising events on weekends and/or evenings, several times per year, in addition to regular weekly hours, if needed and available.
As a member of a highly-collaborative, small, and ambitious organization, other duties and responsibilities may necessarily arise. Everyone on our staff, including the Executive Director, has alphabetized a spreadsheet or troubleshot a Zoom mic from time to time.
Our goal is to find a great team member who wants to grow in the position, through a love of learning, strengthening their skills and taking on greater responsibilities over time.
Invertigo Dance Theatre is an institution at the forefront of Los Angeles dance, connecting people to story and community through a blend of dynamic contemporary movement and compelling theatre. For more information about Invertigo, please visit our website, www.invertigodance.org, and find us on social media: @invertigodance.
Invertigo is committed to treating all employees and artists with respect. Accessibility and inclusion are central to our mission, and we strive to live these values on a daily basis in our interactions with staff, artists, donors, audiences and community partners. We have ambitious goals, we work hard and we value the efforts of others.
- Negotiable (hourly pay range is $16-$18/hr)
- A competitive benefit package, including:
- health insurance benefits (medical, dental and vision)
- paid sick leave
- paid holiday and vacation benefits
If this sounds like the kind of job you would look forward to, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected], with “Operations Associate” as the subject. In your cover letter, tell us about your experiences of success in engaging in similar responsibilities to those described above. Please send any referrals or questions to the aforementioned email address as well. Thanks for your interest!
Note: Invertigo is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees.
Become a Teaching Artist
Invert/ED is the dance education program of Invertigo Dance Theatre. We emphasize creative ownership and interdisciplinary learning. Classes develop teamwork, innovative thinking, physical awareness, and creativity. We offer classes, performance-workshops, residencies, and community-building events for a range of ages, from elementary to high school, and abilities. Invertigo is currently seeking teaching artists for school day (8am - 3pm) and after school (3pm - 6pm) programs for the 2019/20 school year. Artists typically teach 2 to 8 hours a week for 8 to 10 weeks at a time.
Position Responsibilities (included but not limited to):
- Teach movement classes or workshops that include improvisation, technique, teamwork, partnering and storytelling while building class community.
- Develop appropriate curriculum and lesson plans, including for mixed-level and mixed-age classes
- Track participant attendance.
- Develop a final performance for long-term residencies. This may include helping students create work or setting choreography for the students.
- Collaborate with Invertigo Admin to steward community and school partnerships and execute special projects.
- Travel to location for classes (DTLA, Culver City, West Side, Valley, etc)
- 3+ years of teaching experience in movement/dance
- Currently works as or has recently worked as a professional dancer
- BFA, BA or Advanced Degree in related field (dance, theatre, education, etc.)
- Ability to design curricula for different age groups and abilities
- Ability to differentiate instruction for diverse populations
- Interest in teaching the creative process, improvisation and technique
- Experience working with special needs populations is a plus
- Experience working with State Curriculum Standards is a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred
- Valid driver's license and vehicle
- Willing to submit background check, fingerprints, and TB test results for schools
Teaching Artist is paid hourly for classes, planning time, and meetings. This is a part-time employee position, schedule/hours may vary and depends on program schedule and needs.
To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]. In the cover letter, please include a brief overview of your dance and teaching experience, populations you have worked with, and your daily availability starting January 2019.
Invertigo Dance Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees.
Join the board
Invertigo seeks to expand its dynamic board of directors. If you'd like to help guide us onward, upward and sometimes upside-down as a member of our board, please contact [email protected]
Become an Invertigo Volunteer
Are you passionate about the arts and want to make a difference in the community. Invertigo is seeking passionate and dedicated volunteers to help at events, in the office, and at classes. If you are interested and would like more information please contact Brittany Gash at firstname.lastname@example.org
Become an Invertigo Intern
Invertigo has currently filled it's Summer 2019 Internship positions. Please check back with us in September of 2019, to learn more about our Fall internship opportunities.
Become an Invertigo artist
We are not currently holding auditions, but we love getting to know the wonderful dancers in our community. Send an email with any questions or comments, join our mailing list, come to class, see a show and introduce yourself, and talk to us on Facebook and Twitter. (Helpful hint: Facebook is the quickest way to know when classes and auditions are happening. Our eblasts are a close second.) We want to know you!
We collaborate with artists in many media, including musicians, set designers, video artists, costume designers, interactive media artists, physicists, medical care providers... the list goes on. Please send a resume, a sample of recent work and a short description of how and why you would like to collaborate with Invertigo to [email protected].