Invertigo Dance Theatre
Onward, upward, and
“Both magical and precise, storytelling crafted from motion.” – Diversions LA
We are a leading contemporary dance company with a vision to share inspiring, high caliber dance theatre performances and public programming that has enduring social impact with audiences in Los Angeles and beyond.
Invertigo builds community with people of all ages and abilities. Our original works and community engagement invite people to experience the art of dance and storytelling as a catalyst for deeper joy and human connection.
Invertigo Dance Theatre is an institution at the forefront of Los Angeles dance, connecting people to story and community through a blend of dynamic contemporary movement and compelling theatre.
INVERTIGO DANCE THEATRE – REEL
FORMULAE & FAIRY TALES SIZZLE REEL
LIVING ON ONE: MICRO-DOCUMENTARY
Awarded the National Dance Project Production Award – one of the highest national honors in dance
Winner of the Grand Prize in the 2016 McCallum Theater Choreography Festival
Founded in 2007 by Artistic Director, Laura Karlin, Invertigo Dance Theatre creates powerful and visceral dance experiences that connects with audiences throughout the country. We collaborate with a wide variety of choreographers, theatre companies, musical ensembles, social service agencies, education programs, and design artists to make thoughtful performances available to everyone. Our engagement programming is dedicated to promoting physical and artistic empowerment by making dance accessible for underserved communities, low-income students, and those living with Parkinson’s disease.
At Invertigo, we are continually committed to creating a community where people of all backgrounds can enjoy dance and storytelling. We believe that this is only possible through the creation of enriching environments that are diverse, inclusive, and equitable.
A true community is one in which all people, regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, education, religion, or ability, feel welcomed and valued as equal human beings.
Invertigo’s Statement of Equity & Inclusion
Invertigo Dance Theatre strives to create a community where all people enjoy the many benefits of dance and storytelling. We believe that this is only possible through the creation of programs, audience experiences, and work environments that are diverse, equitable, and anti-racist.
We recognize and understand that a history of disparities, bias, and injustice has created a societal landscape of inequality and exclusion. We seek to address these issues directly with an intersectional understanding of, and strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity – both internally and throughout our community.
Invertigo continues to work towards reflecting our passion for creating community and connections by sharing important stories through the many faces, cultures, and walks of life that proudly make up our world.
A true community is one in which all people, of every gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, education, or ability, must feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
We encourage our staff, board members, volunteers, contractors, and partners to embrace the following principles intended to promote diversity and equity:
- Mutual Respect: We value and respect those persons, ideas, and experiences that are different from our own.
- Transparency: We have a responsibility to ourselves and our community to work towards mission and goals with honesty and transparency.
- Collaboration: We believe in creating space that welcomes and elevates a wide array of voices and talents.
- Accessibility: We believe that dance is for everyone: everybody and every body. We strive to make our programming available and accessible in a variety of ways.
- Creativity & Knowledge: Everyone has a story to tell, and we learn more about ourselves by listening to and learning from others. This cultivates and fosters creativity and helps Invertigo create works that reflect the ever-changing world around us and the new stories that are being shared every day.
- Intersectionality: We recognize that everyone carries multiple identities, and that there is a history of oppression and privilege tied to various identities.
- Accountability: We strive to create mechanisms for constant evaluation and feedback, and an open atmosphere of communication that values impact over intention.